Status update: KIO-MTP

Philipp Schmidt philschmidt at gmx.net
Sun Sep 23 21:55:11 UTC 2012

Hi all,

just a little status update on the kio-mtp progress. The Project is now in
playground. You can find it here:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/kio-mtp

The most important changes:
 - More stability
 - More speed thanks to caching, especially when copying lots of small files
where the lookup for the file id (needed for copying) took too long. Since you
usually list the directory they are in prior to copying they are now in the
cache which now results in ludicrous speed (yeah Mel Brooks, I'm looking at
you :D) increases for lots of small files (e.g. Photos), not so much for a few
big files ;).

Still no compiling instructions, these will follow with the first "official"
Alpha. So, if you don't now how to cmake/make/make install, leave it be for
the time being.

Also: Would someone be willing to tolerate a guest post on his/her blog where
I could announce it (I don't have one [yet])? Preferably Alex Fiestas, since
he ist kind of involved ;), but I think once it is ready enough an
announcement should be made at least somewhere, so people know it's coming.

Cheers,
Philipp