Fwd: Your GSoC introductory mail

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed May 16 13:28:20 UTC 2012

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz>
Date: Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: Your GSoC introductory mail
To: Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org>

On 14. 5. 2012 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Matěj,
>
> First of all, thank you very much for your dedication to Amarok and
> your great work on the iPod integration and your recent bug fixes. Are
> there any clones of you available? ;-)

I've got a brother that look very similar to me, but with no interest in
coding. :-)

> Could you please send a mail to amarok-devel@ introducing yourself to
> the others an present your GSoC project?

Will do. It will be something similar to my blog post (with a bit of more
technical details suited to Amarok devs), is it OK?

> Once GSoC will be started - which is in a week - we expect a weekly
> update about your progression by mail as well as the regular blog
> entry. Better get used to it now :)

Yes, I'm prepared to that, I will post a blog entry by the end of each week.
Again, the mail to amarok-devel could be slightly more detailed version of the
blog post if this is OK. I plan to include points of what has been achieved,
what problems I have encountered and what is planned for the next week.

Some organizational things:
1. All commits I make will be publicly visible on [1] in a git branch. I will
however rebase the branches on top of the Amarok master rather frequently to
make my development move convenient.
2. My GSoC project has 2 parts (synchronization within Amarok; synchronization
with Last.fm). The first one will be useful by itself and I would prefer
merging it to Amarok master as soon as it becomes ready and agreed upon by
other devs (somewhere around mid-term evaluation) - do you think it is okay?
3. I will for sure have to make fixes, clean-ups and smaller refactorings of
rather unrelated Amarok code. This work should be considered a part of my GSoC
project, but I would prefer pushing these fixes directly to Amarok master
branch (as I'm used now) - does it sound okay from the GSoC point of view?

[1] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Famarok%2Flaitl%2Famarok.git&a=summary

Concerning my current plans, I think I'll focus on some of the remaining
Amarok bugs to be solved before 2.6 beta during this week and of course
transition to my GSoC project by the start of the GSoC coding period.

P.S.: I didn't know whether I should CC amrok-devel in this mail, feel-free to
resend it to the list.

Regards,
                       Matěj

http://www.fsfe.org