GSoC Proposal: Statistics synchronization for pluggable devices and Last.fm

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Wed Mar 21 10:10:23 UTC 2012

On 21. 3. 2012 Christoph Obexer wrote:
> Thats an awesome idea!
> You could solve last.fm's downsides with ownCloud.

Yup, thinking about this, I can hide Last.fm behind a thin abstraction layer,
let's say ScrobblingService abstract class, then Last.fm, libre.fm and
ownCloud could be just its implementations.

It seems that ownCloud doesn't implement such interface, but this shouldn't be
hard, it is just a kind of database of song plays with associated meta-data.

> Also it would be cool if this could work with android based devices, not
> sure if there are android music players that support statistics tough...

This could be solved using 2 ways:
 a) (more likely) If the Android player can scrobble to Last.fm (or
alternatives), Amarok will get its statistics through it
 b) (less likely) if the Android player can maintain statistics but cannot
scrobble, Amarok can be taught to read its stats and synchronize and scrobble
them for the device. (as it is done for iPods)

Thanks for the comments,
		Matěj