QML Context View queries

Teo Mrnjavac teo at kde.org
Thu Mar 15 15:51:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:09, Saurabh Sood <saurabhsood91 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some queries regarding the distribution of context applets in
> the 'Qmlify Context View' gsoc project. I am currently doing research
> on libattica, and trying out sample code as given in the kde
> documentation. saidinesh5 on #kde-in IRC channel suggested that I
> should keep it very simple, with the entire context applet distributed
> as a zip file. I wanted to know if this would be ok here.

Sounds good.

> Also, do I
> keep in mind the distribution part, as I try out PoC implementations
> for the project? So far, I have just tried out sample implementations
> using StringList, and AbstractListModel, not considering the
> distribution aspects.

Not sure if I understand the question. As long as you're doing proofs
of concept you can do whatever you wish. The real project will have to
include a distribution method, but what you do as exercises outside of
the GSoC coding period is up to you.

> Another query is regarding my timeline in my proposal, which I had
> submitted recently. You had mentioned that it should be more
> descriptive. I have understood the requirements of the project well,
> but am still not very clear, on what part I should pursue when, and
> how much time it could be expected to take. Could you shed some advice
> on that, so I could better frame the timeline aspect of my proposal).

I would love to advise you more, and as a mentor I would do so with my
student during the GSoC coding period, but right now we (the Amarok
team) need to evaluate prospective students based on certain criteria
- the ability to structure the project sequentially in manageable bits
is one of those criteria. So right now I can only advise you to think
hard about it and try to define the requirements that need to be
fulfilled.

> Lastly, I wanted to know how much I should pursue sparql. I have gone
> through sample sparql queries, but not tried any implementation with
> respect to my project. Please advise me on that.

The SPARQL language and QtSparql would certainly be very important in
this project as the preferred way of getting the data you wish to
display. If you get selected, you'll have to learn it I guess.

Cheers,
--
Teo