Queries regarding GSoC project "Social music - Tomahawk features in Amarok"

Teo Mrnjavac teo at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 20:52:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 16:36, vikash anand <vikashanand.mit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everybody !!!
>
> I am very excited about this project and for the past few days i have trying
> to figure out the working of Tomahawk.
> Implementing its features in Amarok is a great idea !!!.
>
> As of now, i have found that Tomahawk uses "Playdar" a music content
> resolver, which has an embedded server that allows interaction between user,
> desktop apps and web apps and also the communication between various script
> resolvers.
>
> Since, tomahawk provides various resolvers ranging from
> twitter,youtube,spotify etc. I wanted to know that which features do we
> exactly need to implement in Amarok and how should i proceed for
> implementation of these features in Amarok ??

This is a good question, and seeking a good answer is one of the
creative duties of the student as well ;)
As for me, I think Amarok already has a very good web services
framework, so any Tomahawk integration project should definitely focus
on the "social music" aspect rather than the various resolvers.
Namely, we'd like to be able to stream from a collection on another
user's Amarok or Tomahawk instance. Ideally I'd like to see a "my
buddies" GUI element with a contact list and a way to query and stream
from my friends' collections. On the other hand, if Tomahawk already
provides a library for that, then the GSoC project could be to
integrate that library.
Consider this bit of research as a requirement for qualification :)

Cheers,
--
Teo