GSoC update

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 07:32:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Phalgun Guduthur
<phalgun.guduthur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All!
>
> An update on my GSoC project : Semantic Collection for Amarok
>
> I have figured out a way to reuse a lot of existing Amarok code. So it made
> a part of the code I wrote till now redundant.
>
> I will be using MemoryCollection as other collections do. The Meta QMaps
> will be constructed using queried results from Nepomuk. This will make all
> the collections consistent and hopefully avoids a lot of bugs too.
> Similarly, I will also be reusing the MemoryQueryMaker and the other support
> classes that go with it.
>
> Right now, the Nepomuk Queries are taking too long. So I will have to run
> them in the background using Threadweaver jobs.
> Apart from this, the NepomukCollection looks complete with the Meta classes
> implemented.

This worries me a little bit. MemoryCollection obviously uses a lot of
memory. Where possible we should avoid having to place the complete
set of tracks in memory and rather rely on the design goals of
QueryMaker to create them on demand. I would think Nepomuk is the
perfectly suited for that. Can you explain what blocked you and
decided to switch to MemoryCollection?

Bart