RFC on git work-flow guideline (was: [Tomahawk Integration] GSoC Report)

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Jul 11 11:07:10 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
> On 10. 7. 2012 Edward Toroshchin wrote:
>> G'day,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 01:25:59PM +0200, Matěj Laitl wrote:
>> > I've checked above repo and the master branch there is polluted with many
>> > Merge branch 'master' of git://anongit.kde.org/amarok commits. Shouldn't
>> > all these be fast-forwards?
>>
>> "Merge" and "fast-forward" are not antonyms. What you (probably) wanted
>> to say here was "rebases".
>
> Lucas' repo looks like it has no his own commits in master. Therefore I wanted
> to say: Shouldn't all his `git pull git://anongit.kde.org/amarok master`
> commands performed in his master branch have resulted in fast-forwards? (that
> don't create the merge commit so I therefore don't call them "merges")
>
> E.g. `git push` without --rebase in master may still be correct if you don't
> have own commits so that it results in fast-forward, that's what I wanted to
> say.
>
>> > My only fear is that this will make merging your tomahawk branch into
>> > master tricky.
>>
>> What you meant here was probably "pushing" your branch into master.
>
> Yes, pushing it to upstream master either through his master or directly.
>
>> And, no, it won't make it tricky, because after a merge commit, pushing into
>> master becomes a fast-forward operation. (...)
>
> Bad wording, I wanted to say: wouldn't that push all those "Merge branch
> 'master'" commits back to master, as it happened for example to Mamarok? [1]
> But now I realize that no, because upstream master is fully merged to his
> master.

We already have rules for git, please have a look here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Sources/KDE_git-tutorial#Amarok_Developers

In particular the "Basic Development" section:

90% of the time this is all that is needed:

git pull --rebase
#hack, compile, build. It works!
git status #to check if you want to commit all the modified files
git commit -a
git log
git push

IIRC these links should be in our HACKING folder somewhere, if not,
those should be added.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org