KIO-MTP development

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Sat Jan 14 10:11:51 UTC 2012

On 13. 1. 2012 Todd wrote:
> Philipp Schmidt <philschmidt at gmx.net> wrote:
> > this week I started developing a KIO-Slave for MTP since I now have a
> > Galaxy Nexus and like accessing it via Dolphin and not having to use
> > mtpfs. You can find it on github:
> >
> > So far it can do very little (Basically listing devices, storages and
> > files works, if the right kio-instance gets the cache), but I am
> > working on that.
> >
> > Since concurrent access to the devices using libmtp is buggy at best I
> > would like to introduce a persistent cache that gets updated when
> > changing operations occur or devices get plugged in/removed. Is there
> > any preferred way in KDE to do that, or an infrastructure already in
> > place?
> >
> > Also, if you have any other ideas or things to say (for example
> > regarding
> > the coding style), please do ;). My long term goal is to get this
> > integrated into KDELibs, together with a Solid-Component that detects
> > MTP-Devices and shows them in Dolphin etc. Help is also appreciated :).
>
> You might also want to forward this to the dolphin and amarok mailing
> lists, since they may want to be able to use this kio slave for their
> own mtp access.  Having a single mtp access tool would probably be
> nice.

Philip,
MTP kioslave whould be certainly beneficial for Amarok too, as its current MTP-
collection is pretty much unmaintained.

Would copying music files in Dolphin to a MTP device using your kioslave suffice
for the device to find it (and display its metadata)? Is so, Amarok's USB Mass
Storage collection shouldn't be hard to extend to handle such devices. If it
wouldn't be that simple, we should find a way how to set MTP-compatible
metadata for transferred songs. (see KIO::Job::metaData())

Philip, also please take look at https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/103028/
which deals with MTP device detection in Solid.

Regards,
			Matěj