GSoC proposal : Semantic Collection for Amarok

Phalgun Guduthur phalgun.guduthur at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:32:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Teo Mrnjavac <teo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 13:24, Phalgun Guduthur
> <phalgun.guduthur at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > My name is Phalgun Guduthur, a 21 year old final year under grad
> majoring in
> > Computer Science in PESIT, Bangalore India.
> >
> > I am interested in working on the Amarok GSoC idea 'Semantic Collection
> for
> > Amarok'. I have been researching on this project for a few days now. I
> have
> > had a few interactions with the mentor (Teo) to gain a clear
> understanding
> > on the problem statement. I have had prior experience working with
> Nepomuk.
> > More details on it can be found in the proposal.
> >
> > I have come up with a proposal and you can find it attached it to this
> > mail.This is first rough draft of the proposal, so there are bound to be
> > mistakes. Please let me know if I have made a blunder anywhere.
> >
> > I plan to come up with a patch in a few days. It will attached to the
> > proposal when complete.
> >
> > Hope you find the time to review my proposal.
>
> Hello.
> First of all, this is a very good proposal!
> I've got a few observations/questions, you can incorporate the answers
> in your proposal document.
>
> * In our existing code it's called QueryMaker, not QueryManager.
> * Is there a way to handle what in TagLib is extended metadata, such
> as composer, disc number or albumartist? I think this is important.
> * This is not required, but it would be cool if you could research a
> bit how much of this work could also apply to an apparently
> Nepomuk-compatible data store such as Tracker as well.
> * Finally, a commit is a committment. Do you plan to keep working on
> this project even after GSoC ends?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Teo

Hello Teo

Thank you for reviewing my proposal inspite of your busy schedule.

   - Yes, I noticed the error too. Will rename it to QueryMaker in the next
   draft of the proposal.

   - Do you mean how extended meta data like disc number will be handled in
   Nepomuk?
   If that is what you mean, there are already ontologies present to handle
   that metadata which are supported by Nepomuk.
   For example,
   nid3:composer applies to Composer
   nid3:trackNumber applies to Disc Number.

   More details of these ontologies can be found
here<http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/nid3/>
   .

   - Yes, the last 2 points came to my mind after submitting my proposal. I
   made a note to myself just today about these 2 :)
   I was too excited about Nepomuk that I forgot about Tracker. I will
   research more about this and get back to you soon.

   And about my further commitment towards Amarok, I assure you that I will
   continue maintaining the code I develop and work more if necessary.
   I'm in my final year of Bachelors program, and my future employer (who
   was himself one of the first open source contributors from India) has
   assured me I can spend time on contributing to open source during work
   hours.

   And I have no other commitments so working for Amarok & Nepomuk will be
   easy.

Hope I could clarify myself on a few notes there.

Cheers
Phalgun