[amarok] doc: Add another page to the list

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Mon Dec 10 23:30:16 UTC 2012

On 10. 12. 2012 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> > +Amarok/Manual/Organization/Collection/SynchronizeCollectionLast.FM
>
> Will work on that tomorrow, but in the mean time, please everybody,
> proofread this page in the manual.
> Matěj, please have a look as well and correct or exactly tell what
> should be corrected, I can't have my eyes on everything, especially
> not when I am afk for several hours :(

http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/Organization/Collection/SynchronizeCollectionLast.FM

The biggest flaw of the page is that is presents Last.fm as a central point of
the Statictics Syncronization. This is not the case, the framework can sync
any number of let's-call-them statistics providers. Every collection that
shows up Media Sources -> Local Music (Collection Browser) can be a statistics
provider. Additionally, your Last.fm Library *can* be a statistics provider
too, but is doesn't have any special place. You can happily sync your
collections without knowing anything about Last.fm.

In fact, Last.fm statistics provider is in one sense inferior, because Amarok
prevents unattended synchronization with it, because it is not needed in
normal workflow and produces heavy traffic (many round-trips) to Last.fm servers.
In future, more webservices like musicbrainz, libre.fm or ownCloud could be
added easily, so the syncing isn't for sure Last.fm-centric.

In some cases I haven't been entirely clear in my blog post, here are more
corrections (there are not the GCI student's fault):

 * One can sync with *any* collection, not just with the Local and iPod ones.
The thing is that virtually only iPod and Local collections update statistics
as they play tracks and have ability to show them. On the other hand, if your
USB Media Player read's and writes statistics to file tags and you have
reading/writing stats to file tags enabled in Amarok, syncing with UMS
Collection would work flawlessly.

 * With the new Nepomuk Collection, another great use would be to sync your
ratings, labels and usage information between Amarok and Nepomuk (thus e.g.
Dolphin). However, AFAIK only rating are read/written reliably in the current
Nepomuk Collection, so this waits for Phalgun to implement more statistics
methods.

> For the record: there is still the Configuration Dialog "Metadata"
> section that needs to be updated as well. I could really need some
> help with that handbook, right now I am overwhelmed with Google
> Code-In, I just can't look at everything at the same time...

Sorry for not helping now, I'm pretty preoccupied by late fixes to 2.7 beta and
releasing it, school and other stuff, my backlog is pretty long still. :-(

	Matěj