GSoC update from Riccardo

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Tue Aug 21 14:16:12 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 16:07:27 Matěj Laitl wrote:
> Hey, this is actually a good (and constructive) proposal! From my PoV I
> would: * Move Labels to Level 0 (I use the applet often, plus people are
> more & more getting used to using tags for example in Dolphin IMO) - but
> feel free to introduce different creative way to show them, perhaps in
> "current track"? * Move Tabs to Level 1 (guitar fans would hate us if we
> dropped it for 2.7) * Move Videos and Visualization to Level 2 - these
> don't work reliably even now.

Ok! I'll put this in the TODO file (src/context) so that it doesn't get lost.
:)

I already know that "labels" will be hard, but i will try to find a solution.

> Then I think a good compromise could be to merge qml branch into master as
> soon as Level 0 is reasonably completed and with confidence that completing
> Level 1 wouldn't block the release for unacceptably long.

Perfect, exactly what I meant.

> There are some other considerations for merging:
>  a) code quality: I've seen commented-out code in qml branch - we try to
> avoid  this in master

I know, there are more things to fix in there (some small hardcodings), too.

>  b) The changes create a lot of dead code. We should try (yep, not just
> you)  to remove all the code made dead by CV QMLification. Do you see how
> current info applet adapts to currently selected media sources view?
> There's a lot of code associated spread across code-base and it seems that
> it's going to be dead. (or do you plan to preserve some form of this
> functionality? Sometimes it gives nice info, but it seems hard to present
> it in a sensible (UI-wise) way)

Most of the old code is going to be dead. I'm keeping it alive in the
development branch because it's a very helpful guidance in restructuring the
various dataengines (they're really, really tied to C++ and custom data types)
and porting over some existing bits.

They will go away as soon as it make sense.

Bye,
-Riccardo