GSoC Report: Integrate Spotify into Amarok

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 07:36:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Ryan Feng <odayfans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Last week I've been working on the configuration plug-in for
> Spotify collection, and it's still working in progress. I have also
> spent some time looking back at the SpotifyCollection and
> SpotifyQueryMaker implementation, and tried to improve the stability
> of querying. Current implementation is based on MemoryCollection and
> MemoryQueryMaker, it caches a lot stuff including `title`, `artist`,
> `genre`, `year` and even `labels`, since only the first three tags are
> often used, so next week I will continue working on the configuration
> part and rewriting SpotifyCollection & SpotifyQueryMaker.
>
>    Currently I have a problem about the configuration plug-in for
> Spotify collection, I've done the coding work, the KCModule is
> registered correctly( checked by ktraderclient ), but the
> configuration button won't show up in the plugin configuration dialog,
> so it will be nice if someone could grab the source[1] and take a look
> what's maybe wrong.
>
> [1] http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=clones%2Famarok%2Fzhengliangfeng%2Famarok-spotify.git&a=shortlog&h=refs/heads/gsoc-spotify
>
> Cheers,
> Ryan

Looks like the Collections currently don't have config dialogs. An
alternative is to have an action accessible from the
CollectionBrowser root item of spotify. As an example look at
UmsCollection. This means that the SpotfiyCollection needs to be shown
(i.e. registered with CollectionManager) but not actually doing
anything before authenticated.

There are various benefits and downsides to having it shown always:
+ discoverable for the users without having to dive into the settings.
- annoying for those not using spotify or in an unsupported country.
But the plugin can be disabled entirely and there should be little
overhead while it's not configured.