Fwd: Pre dev-days sprint

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Sep 2 15:21:38 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen <admin at leinir.dk>
Date: Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: Pre dev-days sprint
To: Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>
Cc: Knut Yrvin <knut.yrvin at nokia.com>, Cornelius Schumacher
<schumacher at kde.org>, Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org>, Ralf Engels
<Ralf.Engels at nokia.com>, Mark Kretschmann
<mark.kretschmann at nokia.com>, robert.griebl at nokia.com

On Friday 02 Sep 2011 16:07:59 Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>
wrote:

> >> If I remember correctly, the suggestion was to use the Qt Munich office
> >> in the weekend Oct 21-23, right before Qt Dev.Days Oct 24-26.
> >>
> >> In addition we should include and sponsor a unconference at Qt Dev.Days
> >> Monday Oct 24, focusing on KDE 5.0 libs and Qt contributions. My manager
> >> said we will have a room for that at the hotel + food.
> >>
> >> For those who participate 1-4 days, we can offer free Qt Dev.Days passes
> >> (with a upper limit of 40).
> >>
> >> I hope that Ralf Engels <Ralf.Engels at nokia.com> can assist in the
> >> weekend as last year. We have to ask of course. Also Mark Kretschmann
> >> <kretschmann at kde.org> has expressed interest in helping out. I've also
> >> got some positive feedback from Qt developers who like the unconference
> >> thing, interested in participating :)
> >
> > Actually I am more interested in a Pre-DevDays sprint in the Munich
> > office. At the conference I will be very busy with the Qt Quick
> > Training from Nuno, and talking to many people. The same is true for
> > other UX people from Nokia.
> >
> > Tackling something as complex as Qt is not in the cards for me, during
> > the conference. I'll be happy to provide advice though.
>
> And the topic for that Pre-DevDays sprint should please not be Qt. I
> don't know the code base at all, so I won't be able to do any hacking.
> I'm more interested in UI, e.g. coming up with touch interfaces for
> KDE applications.

 The problem i see with doing the touch interfaces for Qt thing at this
sprint would be that that's really a Plasma Active topic, and they already
host several sprints over the course of the year. Hence why i suggested this
sprint be about building the Qt Library Archive. Note that this is not about
Qt itself, this is specifically about the stuff that /doesn't/ fit into Qt
proper - things like Gluon's OpenAL wrapper library and other similar things.
Hope that clears up that little misunderstanding a touch.

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                         Co-
                           existence
                         or no
                           existence

                         - Piet Hein

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Senior Software Engineer at Nokia