Review Request: [GSoC] Amarok integration with gpodder.net (GPodder stuff)

Stefan Kögl stefan at skoegl.net
Mon Oct 17 20:37:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 10/17/2011 11:08 AM, Stefan Derkits wrote:
> So our problem is: We need to make sure that the last Request to
> upload an Episode Action was received by gpodder.net. Anyone has an
> Idea how to do this, can we do this in Amarok or do I need to
> implement Support for that in the Library.

I can't judge if this will work for Amarok but I'll briefly describe how
gPodder handles this.

All actions are cached before sending them to the webservice in a batch.
Accumulated actions are sent if no new actions appear for a certain time
(1 minute) or right before gPodder terminates.

This caching reduces load on the service (by sending in batches) and
ensures that no actions are lost (eg when there is some maintenance on
the site). If some actions can't be sent during shutdown, gPodder tries
again at startup and keeps them in the cache until they have been
successfully uploaded.

-- Stefan