libre.fm plugin implementation (looking for mentor)

Alessandro Cosentino acosenti at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Mon May 2 20:17:43 CEST 2011

Hi,
I have found it weird that Amarok is an open source project, but
supports better last.fm than libre.fm, which is indeed the oss version
of last.fm.
As far as I understood, this is because of the big intersection
between Amarok and last.fm developers.
As you probably know, Amarok's support for libre.fm is limited to a
script that allows only scrobbling, see
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Scrobbling_to_Libre.fm
I  was thinking of writing a plugin that would add out of the box
support for all the features already implemented in libre.fm
(basically scrobbling and listening) and that would be ready for
future libre.fm features. Notice that Rythmbox in Gnome already does
this.
The project doesn't look hard, since the plugin will look very similar
to the last.fm one, and the libre.fm community seems enthusiastic
about it.
However, it's the first time that I put my hands on Amarok code. In
fact it's the first time that I am involved in a open source project
at all.
This is why I thought about applying with this idea to Season of Kde.
Leo Franchi on the IRC channel suggested me to first find a mentor,
which is why I wrote on this list. I believe that the ideal mentor
would be someone that was involved in the development of the
amarok-lastfm service.
Any takers?

Best,
Alessandro