Bug 263640

Ralf Engels ralf-engels at gmx.de
Thu Jun 16 20:17:56 CEST 2011

Hi Lydia,
it's still open and as far as I know nobody is working on it.

I would say that Amarok should inform the user (at startup or later)
when tracks are in the playlist that are not physically available.

So I would say a new function "checkForStaleFiles" in the Amarok class
maybe (or playlist class) would be needed.
The it should be called some time after startup (maybe five or ten
seconds. Not directly after startup when so many things are going on).

There is a getUrl function in the Meta::Track class that can be used to
check the location of the file.
Also sometimes the track can be deleted from the collection but the
playlist not updated (e.g. if you remove the database but not the other
amarok settings files)
In this case you might get some null pointers which also indicate
removed tracks.
(don't forget testing with audio streams and maybe some other
collections like when playing from a audio cd)

If stale tracks are found then a dialog box could be displayed asking
the user:
"The current playlist contains tracks that are not longer available.
Should those tracks be deleted? yes/no"

If you have no idea how Amarok is working I would propose to do it step
by step:

1. output a debug message after amarok is started up
2. display a yes/no dialog after amarok is started up
3. display the current tracks after amarok is started up
4. display the current tracks and their status after amarok is started
up
5. the rest.

Look for the PlaylistController.cpp Amarok.cpp and Meta.h

I am also on the Amarok channel, but it might take some time for me to
answer.

Cheers,
Ralf