load own taglib extensions

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Mon Jun 13 02:01:59 CEST 2011

On 06/12/2011 08:20 AM, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:51, Mathias Panzenböck
> <grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net>  wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I wrote my own taglib extensions for a few file formats. Is there a clean way to load them into
>> amarok without patching taglib/taglib-extras? Would I have to change amaroks source or can I somehow
>> install them on my system so that they get automatically dynamically loaded?
>>
>> After I've tested them I'll see if I can send them to the taglib-extras project. The file types with
>> added read-only support of a few tags are: s3m, it and xm.
>>
>> Here is what I've done so far:
>> https://bitbucket.org/panzi/taglib-mod
>>
>> Some parts of this (mainly the build system) are just copied from taglib-extras with a
>> search+replace for a few identifiers (extras ->  mod).
>>
>>         -panzi
>
> Oh wow, nice.
> I don't know any details about taglibs plugins, so can't help you with

There is a problem: These file types have no easy way to determine the song length. You'd need to
dummy-interperte them to find that out. I will not write any code for that, but the Xine and
GStreamer Phonon backends do know the length of the songs! (The GStremer backend sometimes only sees
half the song (and does not support seeking), but that's another story.)

Would it be somehow possible to use Phonon to determine the song length (if
audioProperties()->length() == 0)? It would be ok form me if it would only be determined the moment
the file starts playing. After all the progess bar is displayed correctly then, just not the song
length in the playlist.

> Thanks for the contribution.
> Bart
>
> P.S. If you feel like working on amarok podcasting again: feel free to
> contact me.

Currently I don't have an itch about the podcast support. That's why I don't commit code to it. :)

	-panzi