Bug Bounty for bug 223400 ipod playlist support

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 13:25:48 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:03, kat amsterdam <kat.amsterdam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Amarok Developers,
> I install Ubuntu machines for my friends to help them over to open-source
> computing. The major problem is that a lot of my friends have ipods. I love
> Amarok (moodbar is my favorite feature) and so I promote it to my friends as
> well. Every time though I run into the same problem. Syncing playlists to
> their iPods. Either Amarok crashes (think this just got fixed) or the
> playlist does not sync. This causes me a lot of frustration and time
> fighting with a Win7 virtual machine and iTunes, which throws files around
> everywhere and is just a miserable program to work with.
> So we are down to bug 223400 I asked in the bug if it was okay to offer a
> bug bounty to finally get this fixed as this would benefit the entire Ubuntu
> (all flavours included) community.
> Myriam said to ask you guys and gals...
> So here is my offer:
> Fix bug 223400 so that people can sync their Amarok Playlists to their iPod
> I will then donate € 250 to the Amarok Fund via the Donate button on
> amarok.kde.org
> I believe in what you guys are doing and appreciate your work every time I
> start Amarok. Please fix this bug so I never have to hear the word iTunes
> ever again.
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet,
> Damiön la Bagh
> Amsterdam, Nederland

Hey Kat

This week we've implemented drag and drop support from The Playlist to
any collection in the Media Sources panel, including iPod's. I've
tried this out myself with an ancient 4rd gen. iPod photo. It would be
cool if you can install the current git version [instructions] for
yourself and your friends and test it out with all those iPod's. The
first version that will support this is 2.4.2.

I'm not sure if this is enough for you to make good on your promise,
but here is what we are still working on for 2.4.2:
- Complete playlist saving: save a playlist to iPod and all the tracks
not on there yet will be automatically copied.
- Automatic playlist syncing: configure a local saved playlist to be
synced to the iPod, with all it's tracks.
- Better looking desktop UI: less gray, more variation in UI surfaces
in any color scheme.
- Lot's of bugfixes.

I'll promise you the donation will go a long way towards a much more enjoyable.

Vriendelijke groeten terug ;),
Bart Cerneels
Limburg, België