Organize collection dialog. Unavailable parts replacement

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 09:32:05 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Philipp Schmidt <philschmidt at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 January 2011 22:36:31 Sergey Ivanov wrote:
>> Hey, guys. How do you think, what would be better: replace unavailable
>> tags with some string-substituter like "NA", or just skip It? Below is
>> example, to make clear what exactly I'm talking about.
>> We're using collectionDir/%artist/%disc/%discnumber/%title.filetype
>> scheme to organize collection files. But some of this tags/fields
>> unknown, %disc for example.
>> So we should move tracks to
>> "collectionDir/Artist_Name/NA/Disk_Number/" folder or to
>> "collectionDir/Artist_Name/Disk_Number/"?
>
> I believe that the best method would be to implement an if-like statement, meaning: If exists: use, else do
> this and let the user choose. In the Simple View this could be done easily, for the Advanced View there
> should be some kind of markup-language that does this. For example do it the way Winamp does (Or like it,
> has been a while since i used it): Put it in Brackets with the replacement text after a comma like this.
> [%tag, ifEmptyString]. If no Option is specified like [%tag] just leave it out.
>
> In a very advanced Version one could for example also specify it like this:
> [Disc %disc] so that additional String could be made dependent on the existance of the tag.
>
> I believe that implementing such a solution is much better than hardcoding the coice, as leaving the tag
> out (like it is done now i think) would be better for cases like %disc etc, putting something like "Unknown
> Artist" would be better for %artist.
>
> Regards
> Philipp Schmidt

This question came up in #amarok today, and the answer which was
supplied and tested by another user was to enclose the conditional
argument in braces, like this: %artist/%album{/Disc
%discnumber}/%track %title

I added that to our Handbook page:
http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AdvancedFeatures/OrganizeCollection

Please correct the page if this is wrong!

Valorie
--
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com
Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Identica, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez