Organize collection dialog. Unavailable parts replacement

Philipp Schmidt philschmidt at gmx.net
Mon Jan 17 02:05:55 CET 2011

On Sunday 16 January 2011 22:36:31 Sergey Ivanov wrote:
> Hey, guys. How do you think, what would be better: replace unavailable
> tags with some string-substituter like "NA", or just skip It? Below is
> example, to make clear what exactly I'm talking about.
> We're using collectionDir/%artist/%disc/%discnumber/%title.filetype
> scheme to organize collection files. But some of this tags/fields
> unknown, %disc for example.
> So we should move tracks to
> "collectionDir/Artist_Name/NA/Disk_Number/" folder or to
> "collectionDir/Artist_Name/Disk_Number/"?

I believe that the best method would be to implement an if-like statement, meaning: If exists: use, else do
this and let the user choose. In the Simple View this could be done easily, for the Advanced View there
should be some kind of markup-language that does this. For example do it the way Winamp does (Or like it,
has been a while since i used it): Put it in Brackets with the replacement text after a comma like this.
[%tag, ifEmptyString]. If no Option is specified like [%tag] just leave it out.

In a very advanced Version one could for example also specify it like this:
[Disc %disc] so that additional String could be made dependent on the existance of the tag.

I believe that implementing such a solution is much better than hardcoding the coice, as leaving the tag
out (like it is done now i think) would be better for cases like %disc etc, putting something like "Unknown
Artist" would be better for %artist.

Regards
Philipp Schmidt