Return Playdarcollection from "the Dead" ;)

Andy Coder andrew.coder at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 18:27:55 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Stefan Derkits <stefan at derkits.at> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> after playing around with Playdarcollection [just wanted to port it to
> QJson and to test it I had to get into Playdar] I think it's a really
> good (but not fully usable) part of Amarok and it would be a pitty if it
> would be left to die as a disabled Plugin in the SourceCode.
>
> @Andy:
> If Playdar is not "dead" and it would make Sense to extend/adapt the
> PlaydarCollection I have some proposals (that need check from the more
> experienced Amarok Devs if they make sense) how to make it better and
> would also help you with Parts of it (especially the Service Part):
>
> - -) Make it into a Service like the last.fm Service. This would allow
> Users to disable/enable and it would also make it possible to have a
> ConfigDialog available (is it possible to run playdar-core on another
> Computer then localhost and access it?)

Yeah, Leo and I talked about putting together a 'dummy service' for
it, which would allow enable/disable and configuration, and I still
think that's a good idea, but it was decided way back when that it is
a Collection rather than a Service, (though it does have
characteristics of both).  Also, I think it fits more as a 'local
source of music' since one of the goals of Playdar was to make
disparate sources all appear local.  Also, for recommendations and
such, (e.g. top tracks from similar artists), to be useful, it needs
to be queried when the other collections are.

However, I feel rather strongly that being able to configure
collection plugins in the same way that services can be configured is
a great idea, especially with the number of collection plugins
available now.

> - -) The Search is not soo usable ... would it be possible to search
> Playdar for all Songs from Artist foo (without specifying a Title)? If
> not that's a pitty and I would hope for playdar to change it; if yes the
> search from amarok should be changed to not always look for "artist: foo
> & song: foo" if someone typed foo in the filterwidget.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of playdar's current state.  That
said, it may be possible to create new resolvers/edit old ones so that
this sort of query works, without having to mess with playdar-core,
(since the resolvers determine what results are available).  Using
playdar-core and the included resolvers as is, however, means that no
query which doesn't specify both an artist and a title will ever
return any results, (i.e. single field matches are scored to low to be
returned as results).  If you can think of anything we could do about
this from the Amarok side, I'd love to hear it, but we'll otherwise
need to see how other implementations of the Playdar API work when
they're ready.

 - Andy Coder