changing rating in playlist inline editor

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Feb 23 17:25:44 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 16:01, Edward "Hades" Toroshchin
> <edward.hades at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I've recently tried to change a song's rating in the playlist. And I
>> didn't like it much. To change the rating you have to do the following:
>>
>> 1. Click the stars in the playlist.
>> 2. Wait a little before the next click, otherwise it'll be double click.
>> 3. Click the stars again to start inline editing.
>> 4. Click the stars again to choose new rating.
>> 5. Scratch your head, because now you need to save rating somehow, but
>> is not immediately obvious how.
>> 6. Click one of the other edit boxes to focus them.
>> 7. Hit enter.
>>
>> So, to change the rating you have to click 4 (four) times and press
>> Enter 1 (one) time. Do you not think it's a bit too much? And I'm not
>> counting the certain amount of figuring out to do.
>>
>> My suggestion is to remove all the items below and including #4 by
>> making the act of setting the new rating also trigger saving it and
>> ending editing.
>>
>> This however would not please the guy at bug 223309 [1] and other
>> old-amarok fans, because they would also like to remove items #1 and #2
>> (and I personally see their point), but I do not think it is very easy
>> to implement.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> I agree. If the playlist items are editable a single click should suffice.
>
> In fact I would not allow the option of a read-only playlist at all.
> Accidental edits (certainly on the ratings) can be corrected with
> undo.

Personally I've always thought that the whole mechanism for enabling
the "inline editing" is bad. Often you enable it by accident, or when
you really want to enable it, it doesn't work the first time.

My idea for improving this was stepping away from the whole clicking
orgy a bit, and instead do it like this: If you hover over a playlist
item, a small icon could show up as an overlay, e.g. in the top right
corner, which indicates "Edit". Clicking that, it would make the item
go into the actual inline editing mode.

However, what Edward suggested might also be a good option. It's just
a bit hard to indicate to the user which fields are actually editable.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Senior Software Engineer at Nokia