2.4 planning

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Fri Sep 24 13:24:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Marius <rara at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
> on Friday 24 September 2010 04:43 Pierre Dumuid <pmdumuid at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   regarding, "why do you people take the effort to create a playlist
>> after all?"
>>
>> I use static playlists all the time (I actually using amarok-1.4 whilst
>> waiting for a few issues with the amarok-2.0 playlist system to be
>> resolved.)
>>
>> I like static playlist for parties and other events.  I'd sit down with
>> a few fellow organisers and go through my music, briefly playing
>> snippets of each song and copying the song into a static playlist for
>> that event.  Then we go through that song list a second time and
>> organise the order of the songs and have a few sub-folders to separate
>> the style of music out, so that we can switch between static playlists
>> as the night progresses; i.e: [...]
>
> That's exactly the way I use them. Additionally, I like to create compilations
> and burn them to cd. During creation I use static playlists to keep partially
> finished collections, and when it is finished, I store all my finished
> collections in static playlists.

Every time this comes up, it draws passive arguments from both sides,
me included. That's great! It means Amarok serves a lot of users and
allows for many different sort of use-cases. What it also means is
that there are various ways of using The Playlist and static and
dynamic playlists that are probably *not* how how we personally use
it. So this is not a change to me made lightly. If we want to change
anything this fundamental about amarok (I don't, personally, but Bart
and I have discussed this many times over the past few years:) we need
to at least

1) Describe as many current use cases, even though some are not ours,
that exist now
2) Describe how they will be still available just as easily to the
user after any proposed change.

We're not going to be able to "convince" the other side by outarguing
them, neither from a UI nor a technical point of view.

leo