2.4 planning

Pierre Dumuid pmdumuid at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 04:43:27 CEST 2010

  regarding, "why do you people take the effort to create a playlist
after all?"

I use static playlists all the time (I actually using amarok-1.4 whilst
waiting for a few issues with the amarok-2.0 playlist system to be
resolved.)

I like static playlist for parties and other events.  I'd sit down with
a few fellow organisers and go through my music, briefly playing
snippets of each song and copying the song into a static playlist for
that event.  Then we go through that song list a second time and
organise the order of the songs and have a few sub-folders to separate
the style of music out, so that we can switch between static playlists
as the night progresses; i.e:

welcome-music (classical , light jazz)
start-the-dance-floor
dance music - pop
dance music - tango
dance music - salsa
end-of-night (slow / sloppy)

Dynamic playlist require that the user has spent ages going through
their music already, rating it and fixing up the genre tags, etc..
Also, static playlist lets one order the songs exactly how they like,
and "locks it away".  My dance teachers also have different categories
such as "songs good for beginner's", "songs good for intermediate's",
etc.  Dynamic might be more suitable for this but I'm not sure.

Pierre