2.4 planning

Ralf Engels ralf-engels at gmx.de
Tue Sep 21 00:16:09 CEST 2010

> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:57:19 +0200
> From: Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org>

> Heya folks :)
>
> Let's start some thinking and planning for Amarok 2.4.
> What are your plans? What are the big (and small) things that need to
> happen? (Not including GSoC projects - separate thread)
> I'll try to start making a release plan next week when I'm back home.

I have almost finished a complete refactoring of the collection scanner
and assorted parts.
The new collection scanner should be easier to maintain and have only
little dependencies to the sql database.
I don't want to brag but I think the code is quite beautiful.

Jefferai is doing some additional work on the same branch and I hope
that we can commit these changes in a couple of weeks after some more
internal testing.

After that I plan to start with the dynamic playlists.
Currently you need to read the code to understand the UI (which is
pretty functional, except that you need a lot of explanation to.)

Also and this is a strictly personal opinion the architecture needs some
redesign as it is happily mixing collection dependent parts (like the
result of a query) with non collection dependant parts (like the bias
itself).

Anyway, we currently have a proposal for the new UI here:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/GCDS_Discussions/Dynamic_Playlists

I hope that we can add more interesting biases and at the same time
remove some of the current complaints like "I get doublicate songs in
the playlist"

Cheers,
Ralf