EditFilterDialog improvements

Daniel Faust hessijames at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 20:19:00 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag, 19. September 2010, 13:25:17 schrieb Ralf Engels:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> It's a little bit unlucky that I have seen your mail a couple of hours
> too late.
>
> Yesterday I commited a patch that I had laying around for quite some
> time. I just waited until the trunk was open again because it had a
> couple of text-related changes.
>
> The main part of the patch is a MetaQueryWidget that allows you to
> select a thing that is called filter by the Dynamic Playlist and the
> QueryMaker.
>
> This MetaQueryWidget uses the rating widget for selecting ratings,
> displays icons for the values and also handles creating the textual
> representation of the filter which is used by the collection filter.
> Also I added a new "older than" condition for dates.
>
> The same widget is also used by the Dynamic playlist, so there shouldn't
> be any inconsistencies any longer.

Hi Ralf,

I saw your patch and it's a good thing to use the same widgets everywhere of
cause.

> Actually inverting a between means that you don't want to have results
> laying in the specified range.
>
> Between 1 and 2 should result in val>=1 AND val<=2
> (but as we don't have a >= we need to return val>0 AND val < 3)
>
> The inverted is val<1 AND val>2

I haven't looked at the source code because I don't have the time today, but I
played a bit around and the MetaQueryWidget doesn't seem to honour the invert
check box.
And what I meant was that if you want to invert a between query you need to
change the AND to an OR because val can't be booth, less than 1 AND greater
than 2:

Between 1 and 2 should result in val>=1 AND val<=2
(but as we don't have a >= we need to return val>0 AND val < 3)

The inverted is val<1 OR val>2

> Yes. It's a little bit strange.
> I added an "older than" which is really needed for the Dynamic Playlist.
> As of now I am quite satisfied with the solution.

The "older than" option is good but there is still a "less than" and "greater
than" they should be called "before" and "after" in my opinion.

> While merging the changes yesterday I haven't noticed anything big, so I
> am wondering if you have already commited your changes and I just
> overlooked them.

I haven't commited anything yet.

> > Personally I would like to make it as it is in the APG everywhere.
>
> Also I haven't looked at the APG at all but now that I have, I think that
> it really could use the MetaQueryWidget too :)

I think so too. But what I meant was, that the APG editor handles dates the
best way at the moment. You can select between "before", "on", "after" and
"within the last ...".

Greetings
Daniel