MainWindow layouting

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 09:30:13 CEST 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
> Am Wednesday 24 March 2010 schrieb Mark Kretschmann:
>> In fact it's a hack that took us a long time to get right. Qt's dock
>> widget system isn't exactly great, in many respects.
> I'm pretty sure it causes bug #231428, i'm gonna try sth. different =)
>
>> Making the layout crash persistent by storing it immediately is sort
>> of an incidental (but positive) side effect of this hack.
> The "on disk" storage should not be required then anymore and doesn't make
> things exactly "faster" - we can oc still keep a "write only" (maybe with
> longer timeout)

Hello Thomas,

a while ago we had talked about our (rather hackish) system in Amarok
for preserving MainWindow aspect ratios in the layout. If I remember
correctly, you proposed to replace this system with a better solution.

Now that some time has passed our old system is showing its age very
badly, and the code becomes hard to understand, let alone to maintain.

Do you still have a patch or ideas around for a replacement? :)

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer