Bringing KIO support to the Collection Scanner

Jos van den Oever jos at vandenoever.info
Tue Oct 26 14:08:33 CEST 2010

> How good are the strigi analyzers now? Back in '06 or '07 strigi did
> not support all the fields that taglib is able to read. We still have
> two analyzers in Amarok's source tree, and I'm pretty sure they are
> not actually maintained. Fyi, these were written in Glasgow when
> Martin and I talked to Jos about using Strigi/Xesam/Nepomuk/whatever
> it was called back then to replace the collectionscanner. Some of that
> code still exists in sqlcollection...
A few months back esp. the multimedia plugins have improved a lot. i suggest
you have compile strigi trunk and run rdfindexer on a collection to see what
data it outputs and if you think it is good enough.

> More like write to an XML file, as we probably still want to be able
> to run the scanner separately. Additionally, the tag reading of
> Meta::File would have to be updated as well. Not sure where else we
> are using taglib directly.
You can run rdfindexer or xmlindexer or a more multimedia specific app with KIO
support in a process and process that data. There are two advantages to that:
  - more easy to do multithreaded scanning
  - safety against crashes of the scanner
Note that rdfindexer and xmlindexer have no KIO support. You have to add that.
This is also what KDE does. Have a look at kdelibs to see how.

Cheers,
Jos