Bringing KIO support to the Collection Scanner

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Tue Oct 26 12:32:27 CEST 2010

Hey all,

as we are currently using TagLib, we have one huge limitation in
Amarok: It cannot use KIO, but only locally mounted file systems for
scanning.

But there is a possible solution to this issue: In addition to TagLib,
we could use "libstreamanalyzer" for reading tags, which supports KIO.
This is the library that powers Strigi (KDE desktop search)
internally. I talked to Jos Vandenoever, who wrote the lib, and he
said this could work out pretty well.

Unfortunately there are no API docs online for libstreamanalyzer, but
Jos said we could probably just run Doxygen over it, to get some docs.
What we would have to do is implement a custom "Strigi::IndexWriter"
for Amarok. Here is an example of such an implementation:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/strigi/strigiutils/bin/xmlindexer/rdfindexwriter.h?revision=1104183&view=markup

Jos said, all we have to is translating the addValue() calls to SQL.
Which sounds doable, I guess (although we're all not exactly SQL
experts).

How do you folks like this idea?

--
Mark Kretschmann