Valgrind Log regarding increasing memory usage

Christian Loosli develop at fuchsnet.ch
Sat Nov 20 12:51:06 CET 2010

Dear developers,

as discussed with markey on the OpenRheinRuhr and on IRC, I experience some
interesting behavior regarding memory usage in amarok. It increases after
every track change for ~ 0.1 - 0.8 MB and the memory is never freed. So after
a while of playing, amaroks memory usage increases from ~ 90MB to > 140 MB.

I ran an instance of amarok in valgrind and produced a lot of track changes.
The valgrind log is attached. I don't have much experience regarding valgrind,
but in the final summary it seems to me that memory is lost in several places
along the application.

If you need further information, do not hesitate to contact me either via E-
Mail or on IRC  (Fuchs).

System information:
Gentoo Linux, x86_64
Qt 4.7.1
KDE SC 4.5.3
amarok: out of git, updated about once a week
Applets: Current Track, Tags, Albums, Similar Artists, Wikipedia
Scripts: Lyircwiki, Cool Streams, Librivox
(I tried to disable as much scripts and applets as possible, in some cases I
had the feeling it got a little bit better, but mem usage still increased)
No OSD, no knotify integration, SQL embedded, moodbar.
Phonon is running with the vlc backend.

I hope the valgrind log provides some information.

(The player was on random through the whole music collection, so don't be
surprised if the mix is a bit special ;-) )

kind regards,

Christian