handling of "ship it"

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Nov 3 18:17:44 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> Heya folks
>
> In the last days I've seen a few occurences of the following:
>
> * patch gets submitted to reviewboard
> * patch gets very quick review
> * ship it is clicked by one person or more
> * patch gets commited
> * person most familiar with the code than the person who said ship it
> finds time to check reviews and says that the patch should not have
> been commited to trunk
> * unhappyness of various degrees follows
>
> Clearly we have a problem here. How are we going to fix it? Suggestions?

This might be slightly off-topic, but I would really like there to be
a Review Board git repo. So folks would still upload patches and we
would communicate in RB, just would also push to this repo.

For anything but the most trivial of patches, I think folks should
push their change to this single repo in a branch named something like
YYMMDD-[Shorthand description]. So something like 101103-MakeItFaster

This way you could browse and try patches from the comfort of your
Konsole. It solves a very real problem of patches no longer applying
due to (usually trivial to fix) changes in mainline. Currently feel
like its kind of silly to resolve conflicts in someone elses patch,
since it's easier to merge git branches then it is to merge a
conflicting patch.

It has to be a new repo I think, since currently only admins can
create branches in the main Amarok repo.

Ian