sprint agenda items

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Thu May 13 13:55:24 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 13:34, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> Heya :)
>
> if you're not going to the sprint in Randa but have agenda items we
> should discuss there please post them here.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

Thanks Lydia, it's very nice to think about those of use that can not come.

I've got a few points:

- Remove the likeback feature from the linux version. Only use it on
the new platforms: Windows and OSX
 Reason: As a bug reporting method it's redundant. Bugzilla is hard to
use but should be no problem for experience linux user. They report
the highest quality bugs with low to non triaging effort needed. The
opposite is true for windows and OSX user who don't understand FLOSS
and our workflow.
Likeback is most useful for low-barrier, fast feedback on specific
dialogs (~features) but it does degrade the look. Our existing
userbase will probably not like this regression (2.3.1 will be the
test).

- Mediadevice refactor:
The mediadevice framework is buggy (see crash reports in bugzilla) and
to inflexible to allow the features asked for the most. The most
obvious missing features: playlist sync and iPod podcast support.
Currently only UMD supports podcast exactly because it was easiest to
hack around the MD framework and implement a PodcastProvider without
and API in between.

I propose to re-implement iPod directly as a Collection +
UserPlaylistProvider + PodcastProvider i.e. get rid of the
MediaDeviceHandler and all the lib* functions. I feel this is the only
way we'll ever get proper iPod support.

Playlist sync is partially implemented but because of a lack of time
and struggling with MD I have not been able to complete it. The SoK
student can work on this if mentored by someone else. I am at most
available for architectural questions.

Have fun in Randa.

Bart