Moving classes into core-implementations

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 00:13:01 CEST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> On 3/29/2010 2:20 PM, Maximilian Kossick wrote:
>> I do not think moving *everything* in Amarok's source tree into
>> core-implementations. It will end up being just another dumping
>> ground.
>
> The directory tree is laid out to correspond to the sections in core/.
> How does it become a dumping ground if the only things in there are what
> are implementing the interfaces and classes in that section of core/?
>
> FWIW, I don't have plans to move anything else in there. When services
> get divested of their GUI integration (Erik Hovland is starting work on
> that) then it makes sense to put e.g. ServiceBase into core/ since we
> definitely want services to be available across frontends and platforms.
> How much of services should then go into core-implementations could be
> discussed.
>
>> In particular, stuff like AudioCdCollection is definitely not core, as
>> it is going to be completely useless on e.g. mobile devices.
>
> Well right, that's why it's not in core/, it's in core-implementations/.
> When building a GUI/platform you can pick and choose which of the
> implementations you want to build in.

I think core-implementations would be better renamed to
implementations. (and maybe core to interfaces?  thats really what it
breaks down to.. but thats another debate).  Naming it
core-implementations makes it seem like there's a strong connection to
core, and while it inherits from the interfaces in core, it isn't
necessarily tied tight enough to merit being a "core-implementation"

Dan,