Typo in SqlPlaylist?

Maximilian Kossick maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 27 00:10:04 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> On 3/26/2010 6:39 AM, Nanno Langstraat wrote:
>> I suspect the changed track is not assigned to the existing
>> Meta::AlbumPtr, but creates a new Meta::AlbumPtr with identical name?
>
> There are several open bugs with similar types of issues. Basically,
> changing the album inside of Amarok is known to be broken and should be
> avoided. The main problem is that there isn't actually a way to properly
> do it -- you'll note that SqlArtist and SqlAlbum have no setter methods
> for name. So any method of changing these in Amarok ends up doing wonky
> things to the associations in the database, which can only be fixed by a
> full rescan.

No, they do not do wonky things to the database. What's happening is
that the second album has a different album artist. It is therefore
stored as another album in the database, and a restart of collection
update won't change that. A full collection rescan will then identify
these two albums as Compilation. Whether that is a fix is debatable.

Changing an album name where an album with the new album name and same
artist already exists works perfectly fine.

> Any setter implementations would need to have smarts to figure out
> things like "if I change the artist, should the album stay where it was
> (i.e. a VA-type scenario) or should the album be a new album under the
> new artist name" and "if I change the album name and it matches an album
> that already exists and is VA, does this mean that this track should
> also be a part of that?" Etc.

The real solution is to make the albumartist visible and maybe
configurable in the TagDialog.

> The TagDialog is a mess too and would have to be refactored to actually
> use these new methods. IIRC from the last time I looked at it, it's a
> mess in general and should probably be entirely rewritten.

One of the few places which is basically unchanged from A1 days. Yep,
it needs a complete rewrite.