Declarative Mobile UI

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Mar 23 16:54:59 CET 2010

On 3/23/2010 11:42 AM, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> We should consider writing the whole mobile GUI in Qt Quick (former
> declarative UI / QML [1]) from the start. That means making all our
> none GUI components accessible by making (more) use of QProperty and
> perhaps introduce a state-machine here and there. Probably is a little
> harder work then that and there will be a learning curve (perhaps
> downwards since we'll be waning ourselves of imperative GUI
> programming)

That was my intention as well.

> I propose we start a research project to get to know and understand Qt
> Quick. Something we all know and love (/hate) and haven't felt shy
> experimenting with in the past: a new toolbar :)

Honestly -- since Qt Quick is really only in the Qt 4.7 tech previews or
specific odd branches of 4.6 (correct me if I'm wrong), I think our time
right now is better spent working the actual separation. By the time we
make meaningful progress on separating out many of these components
we'll probably be much closer to stable Qt Quick code too.

--Jeff