Towards Amarok Mobile: Beginning separation

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Sat Mar 20 08:00:27 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 02:38, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> On 03/19/2010 06:03 PM, Erik Hovland wrote:
>>> My first goal is to get several of the services working. There are
>>> already music clients on Maemo; there aren't any Ampache clients or
>>> Last.fm clients. So I figure a good way to get established is to provide
>>> what's not already there, and then fill out the functionality as possible.
>>
>> There happens to be a very good last.fm client on maemo:
>> http://vagalume.igalia.com/
>>
>> You may want to establish another feature/capability then that first.
>
> Ampache has always been the first goal. For no other reason than that I
> want it (which is the best reason, as it's motivating  :-)  ).
>
>> you a leg up. If you are thinking about getting podcast stuff working, remember
>> that the gpodder developer is very active w/ their maemo port.

The podcast stuff doesn't need any porting. All the parsing is
separated from the storage of metadata and files. And I'm very sure we
have the absolute fastest podcast parsing of any client and can make
it even faster by stopping the parsing (and download of the feed xml)
early.

> I'm not. The gpodder client sucks, but all podcast clients suck.

Does that include Amarok? Need to work on that then.