Remote control feature on Amarok

Milot Shala milot.shala at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 14:35:06 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Milot Shala <milot.shala at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Lukas <1lukas1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh just just remembered
>>
>> Since SC 4.4 plasmoids has a Sharing plasmoids functionality built in. I
>> havent used that feature yet, but i guess it has a lot in common with what I
>> wrote about :)
>>
>> p.s. I'm more a user, not a Amarok dev and can't provide mucth techincal
>> help

>>> Hi Lucas,
>>>
>>> I really like your idea and would be perfect to make that happening! For
>>> that reason I started this topic but my interests were mainly applying such
>>> functionality to Amarok, but it can be a nice interface to implement it on
>>> KDE as a whole!
>>>
>>> Currently I am trying DBus interfaces of Amarok, I will be back here
>>> again.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Milot Shala, Software Engineer
>>> www.spartansoft.org | m.shala at spartansoft.org

> Well I am a Qt/C++ developer and I don't know the KDELibs that well, so I
> am trying to be one of Amarok devs in the near future and help contribute to
> such good player :D
>
> --
> Milot Shala, Software Engineer
> www.spartansoft.org | m.shala at spartansoft.org

Since yesterday I was searching a good way to make this happen on Amarok, I
have seen that MPD (http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki) is
doing a good job for its purpose, but I don't think that Amarok end-users
want to bother creating a music server then control that from their clients;
IMO I think that users want to have easiest way to enable Amarok remote
control, then the remote control remind what's their IP address is, they
enter the IP on their mobile device and they are happy controlling Amarok
from the distance.

As for implementation I think there are two possibilities to achieve this
goal:

   1. Create a standalone proxy application that accepts network socket
   messages from mobile device and call appropriate amarok dbus messages (Play,
   Pause, Next, GetMetadata etc.)
   2. Create a proxy class inside that binds socket to the local machine and
   let users enable or disable remote control features on Settings, and of
   course access Amarok methods using DBus.

What do you think?

I will clone my own repository and try this maybe it is more appropriate.

Sincerely,
--
Milot Shala, Software Engineer
www.spartansoft.org | m.shala at spartansoft.org