Switching playcount increment time

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 23:18:01 CET 2010

On 3/16/2010 5:08 PM, Maximilian Kossick wrote:
> How does this affect last.fm scrobbling though? Scrobbling should not
> use Meta::Track::finsihedPlaying() but simply use the time between two
> EngineController metadata changes.

It doesn't; as I said it breaks Last.fm scrobbling *semantics*.

Last.fm scrobbling semantics say that a track should be scrobbled when
either half the song or the first four minutes have been played,
whichever comes first. When the track is shorter than 30 seconds, it is
not scrobbled.

I believe that these are relatively sane rules, with the exception that
if a track is shorter than 30 seconds, the entire track should be
played. Granted, we were not perfectly adhering to these rules before,
but the way it has been changed now can certainly lead to tracks being
"played" when the user is simply trying to skip around.

I'll update this.

--Jeff