RFC: disabled (or not yet enabled) collections in the browser

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Jul 31 17:43:49 CEST 2010

> Currently the byline (text underneath the collection's name) is
> hardcoded to show track count. I would like to change this to show a
> different text when the collection is disabled and trigger some action
> when the item is clicked.

I think this is an excellent idea. Especially the action triggering part. This
might actually turn out to be pretty intuitive. Empty collections should
always be collapsed and contain a text that invites the user to click it in
order to populate it.
What action is triggered would then by defined by the kind of collection.

This could also be the solution for the problem with empty SQL collections
Jeff mentioned in the release plan thread:
They would display a text like "Click here to add folders to your collection"
and when clicked open a dialog to select collection folders.

So we should establish that as a standard behavior for any collection: When it
is empty, collapse it and invite the user to initiate an action to populate
it. Whether that action is simply activating a network scanner or selecting a
local folder to scan then depends on the collection type.

Regards,
Thomas