Elegance?!

Ralf Engels ralf-engels at gmx.de
Mon Jul 12 21:14:08 CEST 2010

> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:50:57 +0200
> From: Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org>
> Subject: elegance?!
> To: amarok-devel <amarok-devel at kde.org>, Amarok Promo
>
> Heya folks :)
>
> Some of you have attended Aaron's keynote at Akademy in Tampere and
> others have seen the video already. (Go watch it if you haven't yet.)
> One of the key points was that we need to look at our work and see
> where we can make what we do or how we do it more elegant. So the
> question is: How does this apply to Amarok for you? Where/how can we
> do things more elegantly and how can we make Amarok more elegant?

Hi,
usually I think about elegant code.
After all, if the code is easy to understand, well documented and
without hidden traps then every change is fast and easy.

But I guess you want to hear a little bit more about UI.
For me the Amarok UI is quite cluttered with stuff that I rarely use.

For example I use dynamic playlist all the time so the "Clear Playlist",
"Save Playlist" and other buttons on the right bottom corner are
useless.
Also the search bar at the top of the playlist is useless.

On the other hand having the different playlist options on the right
side is not logical for me.
A clear, logic and elegant setup would be to have the different
collection views on the left side and everything playlist related on the
right side.

Also an unrelated, small and very elegant change in my opinion:
Exchange the playlist column and the context information column.
Why?
It is very common to drag a song from your local collections into the
playlist. Currently you have to drag from the very left to the very
right.
Also elegant for this new setup:
The scope would get narrower from left to right:
left: all your music
center: the specific playlist
right: a specific song

BR,
Ralf

I have some more proposals if you are really interested.