[Amarok] Scanner now also looks for "folder.*" as cover ima

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Jan 22 15:26:02 CET 2010

On 01/22/2010 09:11 AM, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> constructing QFileInfo's is
> relatively expensive, especially in bulk like we are doing here.

Where's the proof? :-)

The reason I bring this up is that for independent reasons I asked the
KDAB people giving the training yesterday the same exact question -- how
expensive it is to use QFileInfo vs. just a stat (which itself is very
fast, even in bulk), even at quantities in the tens of thousands. They
claim that it's nearly as fast, and in some cases (like Win32) faster. I
trust them on this -- they *are* the Qt experts :-)

> More to the point, isn't amarokcollectionscanner supposed to spit out
> image paths?  It's already reading everything in the filesystem, so it
> would make sense for it to parse cover.blah's at the same point.

It does spit out image paths. The scan result processor is using
heuristics to determine which is the best one to use. Possibly this
could be moved to the scanner -- the code is a bit complicated and I
don't know what the implications would be.

Mark, as for your implementation -- since folder is relatively unused,
I'd put it as the *last* thing to try, not the second-to-last. I'll
change this when I remove the big loop.

--Jeff