New experimental toolbar by Thomas Luebking

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Jan 22 11:04:26 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> Thomas Luebking has created a new alternative toolbar ("3G") for
> Amarok, which does some rather interesting things. I've just checked
> it out, and I found it surprisingly good. There are some usability
> issues and visual glitches remaining, but I'm sure they could be
> tweaked a bit.
>
> Here is the Merge Request, if you want to check it out (also check the
> comments in there):
>
> http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/merge_requests/2259
>

> I'm attaching a screenshot of the new toolbar in action.

Thomas was kind enough to clean up his commits a bit, and I just
tested it here. I could build and run it successfully.

I propose the following:

 We should merge this into mainline quickly, so that everyone gets a
chance to test it, and to give suggestions for improvements. Merging
it quickly would also have the benefit that we can get it in before
string freeze.

One important detail you should know: The new toolbar comes as an
additional toolbar ("Toolbar 3G") that one can select from the GUI, so
that the older two toolbars would still be available, and it's not
enabled by default. So, even if we end up deciding against this new
toolbar, we could simply make it non-default (optional, just like the
"Slim Toolbar" is now), or we could disable it entirely before 2.2.3
tagging.

I've talked this over with a number of other developers on IRC
(Nikolaj, Leinir, etc), and they also agreed on this. What do you
think?

PS: Here's the new Merge Request:

http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/merge_requests/106

--