Decision needed for "Move to Trash"

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Wed Jan 20 22:14:43 CET 2010

2010/1/21 Mathias Panzenböck <grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net>:
> On 01/19/2010 02:22 PM, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
>> Ahoy,
>>
>> Louis Bayle has made a Merge Request for adding a "Move to Trash"
>> feature to the playlist context menu. It would be nice if we could
>> decide on this before string freeze. Please have a look here and
>> comment:
>>
>> http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/merge_requests/102
>>

> I hope no one minds that I say something to this topic (after all I only rewrote
> podcast feed parsing and am not really an active developer currently):
>
> I don't like the idea of a delete file option in the context menu of the
> playlist. I don't know any other music player that has such an option (ok, I
> don't know that many; only winamp, vlc, quicktime and a few others). And I think
> such an option is a bit dangerous. I would not expect it to be there. I can
> imagine if I wouldn't know this discussion and this menu item would suddenly
> appear in a new version without "warning", the next time I wanted to remove a
> song from the playlist I might accidentally delete it instead because I only
> skim through the menu items and do not really read them (after all, I would
> think I know which items there are).
>
> On the other hand, I often wanted to know where a given song is located in the
> filesystem so I can then navigate there with dolphin in order to do something
> with it (e.g. copy it to another computer per sftp kio-slave). For that I have
> now to look into the track details and then manually navigate to the location. I
> think it would be really nice to have an option "show in system file-browser" or
> something like that. This option would open a dolphin window (or whatever your
> systems filebrowser is) with the file in question selected (like "reveal in
> finder" in OS X). In dolphin you can then delete the file if you want. Of course
> that option can only be provided for files the are located on a filesystem
> accessible through the systems file browser (so things that are only accessible
> through a special lib, like I think it's the case for songs on an iPod or http
> streams are excluded).
>
> Just my thoughts on this topic.

I was thinking the same thing. If I can't delete files from my
playlist (fair enough), then at least allow me the option to see them
in their context of the collection browser (so that I can delete them
if I choose).

This leaves a problem of what to do when multiple files span across
multiple panes (collections/internet etc)

--
Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/
http://amarok.kde.org/