status of the synchronization framework

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Sun Jan 10 10:36:03 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 00:42, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Maxx,
>
> I just noticed today that back in October you committed some code to
> src/synchronization/ What's the status of this framework? What are the
> current TODOs?
>
> Casey

I'm also working on a synchronization framework at [1].

Might seem kind of stupid to develop another one but it's focus is different.
Maxx'  aim is to get whole collections into sync while I'm just trying
to sync playlists. And then things like track order and such come into
play, which CollectionSync can not do.

Both can be used for getting ex. an iPod to have the same tracks as
the complete SqlCollection. CollectionSync can even be used to copy
the tracks in a playlists to a Collection thanks to the
PlaylistCollection proxy.

But if you want an iPod playlist and an SqlPlaylist to be
automatically synced you need PlaylistSync.

I fairly sure I'll use CollectionSync to copy tracks over that have
when copying and syncing a playlist. It depends on the
PlaylistProvider implementation whether that is possible or needed.
Example: a track is added to a playlist synced to iPod and an online
playlist sharing site (like playlist.com or 8tracks.com).
 - on next sync CollectionLocation is used to copy the (new) tracks to the iPod
 - the online service can't store tracks to copying is not needed only
the metadata of the tracks is send.

PlaylistSync can handle all types of playlists (including podcasts but
not dynamic since it's not a Meta::Playlist). Syncing between types is
the best but it's also possible to make an M3U playlist from a podcast
for instance (downsyncing).

If possible PlaylistSync should get in 2.2.3.

[1] http://gitorious.org/~Stecchino/amarok/stecchinos-amarok/commits/playlist_sync