Unresumable streams...?

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:52:24 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
> As pointed out before the play/pause button of the new toolbar should hint
> "stop" rather than "pause" if the played tune (stream) cannot be resumed.
>
> Unfortunately checking whether this is a stream is not enough.
> In fact i'm not sure whether i found _one_ non resumable stream (last.fm can,
> if there was some ILLEGAL way to use shoutcast, i'd know it can ;-P - some
> german radion stations i tried can as well...
> I tried by listening and to fire a "pause" and check whether phonon enteres
> the "stopped" state, but that didn't happen (otherwise i had used that as last
> resort check...)
>
> Thus:
> - Is there a "can't resume" flag i missed?
Well it's the same thing as how you can resume some downloads, but you
can't with others. It depends what the HTTP server is supporting.

At least, for non-live streams. It would make sense that live streams
are impossible to pause, but...

> - Is stream resuming maybe backend related? (Using mplayer i've never
> encounterd any stream i could not navigate or pause...)

...yes quite possibly. It's not hard to think of how you could
implement pause for any sort of stream (just keep downloading!). But I
doubt any of our backends do this.