the toolbar gradient...

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Mon Feb 22 17:48:57 CET 2010

please don't flame, just vote ;-)

Seeing the toolbar gradient with oxygen AND a menubar*, this really doesn't
look too good**

imho there only 2 main options:
1. kick the gradient entirely, have the style paint one***
2. have a bevel that blends in from the menubar and has some contrast on the
bottom****
  a) that has a hard delimiter on the bottom (facing the dock frames)
  b) and hide the dockwidget frames (while the UI is locked)

For obvious reasons i don't really care too much about what the solution will
be, but in terms of a "general" solution I tend to 1 or 2b.
(2b makes sense anyway as amarok hides the dockwidget layout in this context -
also things would look less Lego-a-like :)

Cheers,
Thomas

Ps: I sent and still have shots from 1, 2a and why 2b won't work w/o removing
the dock frames - ask if you need to resee them

* sorry, usually i've it outside and i forgot to check.
yes. this means i can have top menubars with every style.... ;-)

** notably as oxygen tends to stack strong frames upwards and paints
mnemonics, the bevel itself matches the layout pretty much ok

*** the style has to override the toolbar anyway to paint e.g. the drag
handles.
! aside from this there'd be the option to use a distinct amarok_main_toolbar
controlelement (w/o extending the enum at all) i.e. the style can be asked to
explicitly paint amaroks main toolbar and we still can have a fallback.

**** because of oxygens window gradient and in general, a gradient w/o at
least one border would be either dull or unnotable