Label buttons - one more time

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 03:10:23 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
> Am Wednesday 17 February 2010 schrieb Leo Franchi:
>> I agree very much with this point. Various times i've wanted to quit
>> amarok (I have "resume playing on startup" on) and have it *not* start
>> playing a song. But as there is no way to "reset" amarok right now in
>> the toolbar, i've  been forced to do various hackish things so that
>> the song doesn't resume.
>
> That's actually different from Thomas' problem as you want to impact the state
> on the next startup, and not just reset the position now.
>
> AND: this is harder to achief :-\

Actually, it's not that bad.  We just need to make "Resume on startup"
respect paused state on exit.  I talked to Leo about this before, and
it should probably do this anyways.

> Amarok does not quit on the window close button, but either on
> - menubar entry
> - session end (sigkill?)
>
> menubar entry is pretty easy to do:
> "Stop & Quit" or "Quit & Resume on start"
>
> controlling the behaviour on session end is however a different thing.
> the only "solutions" w/o an explicit signal that i could imagine are:
> - heuristics on the track position (e.g. < 20secs ->restart, resume otherwise)
> - heuristics on lag ( > 5h -> restart)
> - explicitly ask (has the advance that the user does not have to predict)
> - a combination of the above :-\

On session end (as long as it's not a crash/kill) Amarok gets closed
properly, which leads to this information being saved.  If the session
gets killed, theres nothing we can do about it and it's just a "sorry,
too bad" issue.