"Viral Marketing"... >-)

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Thu Feb 18 00:16:29 CET 2010

Am Wednesday 17 February 2010 schrieb Nikolaj Hald Nielsen:
> 1. I don't think we have enough market share to make anything a
> "defacto standard"
I meant rather "request it as std. baviour for amarok"

> 2. I think Amarok should _always_ be usable even if you know nothing
> about it beforehand. This idea breaks that.
If you alter the svg skin and explicitly remove the skip buttons the intention
is hardly ambigious :)
_This_ idea ("viral marketing") was just to provide a "secret* option" to
allow a "soft migration" through "experienced" (used it once) users.

If you don't want that - the comment would be:
"we don't ship software with super hakkish pro features. period." :-P

*it could be a non-secret official option as well, in case you consider it
woth it.
we could even ship three toolbars: "main", "slim" & "sliding" with no code or
runtime overhead. (you just set a flag on the main toolbar whether to use skip
buttons or sliding)

---

However, sigh.

As you're apparently rather referring to a skipicon less UI in general, i am
sorry (i probably sound like a broken disc) but i must stress, that the
"solution" as demanded and provided in the MR is (to me) broken by design*

If skip buttons are just long-time inevitable** I unfortunately have to
recommand -once more- to simply use them and make the trackinfo tooltips (or
sth. else, just not core navigation elements and certainly not by this layout)

I remind that i just _proposed_ an _alternative_ that I (still) think works
and that has advances, but if the general opinion is that it's too uncommon to
put it on the Joe Amarokker i beg to not try to "fix" it by "merging" two
different user interfaces. That's not gonna work, sigh :-(

You can sure bring an interim state, par-ce-val, but a long term solution
should focus on "how can we provide best user experience" and not "how can we
make a different UI concept appear like the well-known" - then rather kick the
different one.

I promise that i won't be pissed or so.
I said "look" you said "no thanks" - that's life.

I please just don't want to "accidently" have made things ultimately worse.
:-\

Regards

*(visually) small /and/ distributed hit areas
**that is "ok" - one does not have to aggressively innovate ;-)