Label buttons - one more time

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sat Feb 13 21:48:48 CET 2010

Hi Daniel,
an answer would have been nice instead of making this the 3rd or 4th "let's
discuss the toolbar change" thread, but:

== Questioning conventions ======
- Why does the user know things?
- How do you know what s/he knows?
- What is the stop button good/important for? (Except on some streams that
cannot be resumed - this needs to be handled technially)
- What does "next" mean in a random play mode? Same as in a linear mode?
- What is the advance of _not_ providing information about the adjacent tracks
as we know and have the "physical" opportunity?
- Do the costs of adapting to a change surpass benefits of the change (more
and pre- information, stressed play/pause button and wider hit areas,
regarding usability)

- Should we clone the UI of iTunes or WMP? (I.e.: what is more "expected")
- Should we bring ffwd/fbwd buttons? (Non of my HW players actually has a
slider to change the position -pro devices usually have wheels for this- so
where do you know what it does?)

== Music Player UI history ===============
Just for the records, the first "music player" ever would be the phonograph by
Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville and the only UI was a winder.
(So was it for Edison's "actually working" phonograph ;-)

Following phono players didn't have play/pause/stop/skip buttons either.
(Well, in fact there was a button to connect electric power and make the table
turn, but i doubt there has ever been any icon on them)

Parts of the UI you describe were introduced with CC players, the skip buttons
came with the CD.

== UI theory nitpicking ==============
I hope that your UI class addressed the difference between
a) hidden (undetectable, i.e. you need to really search it)
b) obscure (it's there, but function is uncertain, you have to figure what it
really does)
c) unexposed (it's there, it'd be quite clear what it did, but you have to
detect that it's interactive)
d) uncommon (has looked different in the past, you have to adept to it)

I think we can agree that a) is not the case, b) would be a problem (what'd
you expect from clicking the name of a track in this context?), c) is to be
addressed and d) was a decision made.

== "Changes hurt" awareness ==========
I btw. did and do not expect "changing things that maybe just are because
they've been" to happen fluidly (think of the Ribbons*, even the Aqua UI was
critized for being too "strange" in the first place ;-)

This _is_ sort of an experiment and there _are_ and will be things to be
addressed and things might end up entirely different as expected / intended
(e.g. i never worried about "clickable labels", as Amarok has a bunch of text
in "non-views" and basically every part of the front UI is interactive  - ok,
except the statusbar :)

Thomas

*I've other objections on them, mostly about screen estate - but it's not "i
need my menubar"