New toolbar navigation

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Thu Feb 11 22:18:42 CET 2010

Am Thursday 11 February 2010 schrieb Leo Franchi:
> Clicking on the slider jumps the track position. Putting stuff on the
> slider mixes up the metaphor, and just gets confusing. What if you
> miss the icon, and hit the background of the icon, over the slider
> itself? I think this is a bad idea.
I think he wants to slide out a solid widget over the timeslider (like sth.
between a mac sheet and a dynamic toolbar or an autohiding panel)

The Coolbar demo does similar - just that the label and the slider share the
same space and the slider becomes active when you approach with the mouse -
i'm drifting ;-)

This could be a way to display the current track actions, but as long as we're
talking about <=6 buttons/icons i guess they're better kept inline with the
label (and thus closer to the text of the ct than to the other tracks, imho a
major flaw in this sketch)
Also they should dis/appear with the track and just be stressed on approach.
(there's basic and deactivated support for them in the code, but uses
QToolButtons what looks ... erhem :)

In case we want a way to set those little fav. stars via the toolbar, this
would however be an option to consider (but not on the entire length and
rather not on hover - passive interaction should not lead to UI "relayouts")

Another option would be to "sheet" the track whole edit dialog.
(BUT: while Mac OS has support for this and i could fake it on X11/NETWM, i'm
entirely unsure about windows, what could be a blocker)

As for the look - let's say the "mock" has obviously sketch quality, what's
fully ok to me =)

Skål